Victim Compensation╠ř

If you are a victim of a crime, a relative of a victim or a witness at the scene of a crime, you may be eligible to receive money to pay for some expenses or damages.╠ř

To qualify, the crime must have been reported to the appropriate law enforcement agency and the person would need to apply to the victim compensation program in the county where the crime occurred.╠ř If the crime occurred in Boulder county, the person would ╠ř

A victim or authorized representative may be compensated for:╠ř

  • Medical/dental expenses╠ř╠ř╠ř
  • Mental health counseling and therapy╠ř
  • Burial/funeral expenses╠ř
  • Homemaker and home health services╠ř
  • Lost wages/loss of support to dependents╠ř
  • Replacement of eyeglasses, hearing aids, and other prosthetic appliances╠ř
  • Property damage, i.e. repair/replace exterior windows, doors, locks of a residential home damaged by crime╠ř


To apply visit:╠ř╠ř

╠ř or╠ř╠ř


Victim Rights Act

╠řThe (VRA) in Colorado ensures that crime victims are treated with fairness, respect, dignity and that they are free from intimidation, harassment, and abuse. The VRA also helps to ensure that victims are informed of critical stages of the criminal justice process and that they may be present for, and heard, at certain stages as well.╠ř The Constitution of Colorado╠řguarantees certain rights to victims of the following criminal acts:╠ř

  • Murder╠ř
  • Manslaughter╠ř
  • Criminally negligent homicide and vehicular homicide╠ř
  • Assault╠ř
  • Menacing╠ř
  • Kidnapping╠ř
  • Sexual assault╠ř
  • Child Abuse╠ř
  • Sexual exploitation of children╠ř
  • Crimes involving child prostitution╠ř
  • Crimes against at-risk adults and at-risk juveniles╠ř
  • Indecent exposure╠ř
  • Aggravated robbery, robbery of a controlled substance, and robbery of the elderly or disabled╠ř
  • Violation of a protection order in a sexual assault case╠ř
  • Incest and aggravated incest╠ř
  • Human trafficking╠ř
  • First degree burglary╠ř
  • Invasion of privacy for sexual gratification╠ř
  • Stalking╠ř
  • A bias motivated crime╠ř
  • Retaliation against a victim or witness╠ř
  • Retaliation against a judge, prosecutor or juror╠ř
  • Careless driving resulting in death╠ř
  • Failure to stop at the scene of an accident resulting in death╠ř
  • Any crime involving an act of domestic violence╠ř
  • Witness or victim intimidation╠ř
  • Any criminal attempt, conspiracy, criminal solicitation or accessory involving any of the crimes above

Victim and Witness Reactions╠ř

Following a crime, sudden death, or traumatic event, the impact will vary for everyone involved. Some common reactions include:╠ř

  • Shock and disbelief, numbness╠ř
  • Having unwanted memories╠ř
  • Anxiety or panicky feelings╠ř
  • Feeling ÔÇťlostÔÇŁ or ÔÇťout of itÔÇŁ╠ř
  • Irritability (near tears or angry)╠ř
  • Blaming or doubting oneself, thoughts like ÔÇťIf only I had...ÔÇŁ╠ř
  • Nightmares, sleep disturbances╠ř
  • Feeling responsible for what happened╠ř
  • Loss of appetite╠ř
  • Anger╠ř
  • Crying for ÔÇťno apparent reasonÔÇŁ╠ř
  • Re-living the trauma (flashbacks)╠ř
  • Problems concentrating╠ř
  • Depression and sadness╠ř
  • Losing interest in activities previously enjoyed╠ř
  • Disruption in family, career, and/or school╠ř╠ř
  • Unexplained headaches, nausea, or physical pain╠ř

For Victims and Survivors╠ř

We are sorry to hear that you may have been a victim of crime. This experience may have created stress, fear, and confusion for you, and we would like to offer our help with any problems you may be experiencing as a result of this crime. If you are a victim of one of the crimes listed above, your rights are guaranteed by the Colorado Constitution. This site is designed to inform you of your rights and to help you exercise those rights.╠ř

Please reach out to the CU police officer or victim advocate assigned to your case, for more information and assistance in accessing resources. ╠ř

You may also view our Victim Advocacy page to learn more about resources and services provided by the university, including through the Office of Victim Assistance and our embedded police victim advocate.╠ř╠ř

Rights of Victims╠ř

Victims and witnesses of the above listed crimes have rights.╠ř╠ř╠ř

To see the full list of rights under Colorado law visit: or see these╠ř.╠ř╠ř

Next Steps╠ř

After the initial report, the officer taking the report or a department supervisor will review the case to determine if there is enough evidence and/or leads to assign for further investigation. Further investigation may be with the officer that took your report or it may be assigned to a detective.╠ř If your case is assigned to a detective, they will be in contact with you. If it is determined a crime was committed and a suspect is arrested and charged, your case will be referred to the district attorney. The District AttorneyÔÇÖs Office will review the case and decide if prosecution of the suspect will occur. Keep in mind that it will not be your responsibility to decide if the case will be prosecuted. The District AttorneyÔÇÖs Office will make the decision about whether or not the case will be prosecuted.╠ř

For Your Protection╠ř

Intimidation, harassment, and stalking are all crimes. If you are being intimidated, harassed, or stalked, or you feel you are in danger at any time, please call 911. Also available are:╠ř

  • Restraining orders through the Boulder County Courts at 303-441-3775 or ╠ř╠ř
  • Extra patrols around your on-campus residence or academic building (please note these are resource dependent)╠ř
  • Safety planning╠ř

Property Releases╠ř

If any of your property was taken by the police as evidence or recovered during an investigation, and it is not contraband, it can be returned to you as soon as it is no longer needed for evidentiary or prosecutorial purposes. If you have not been notified or property that can be released to you, consult with the officer or detective assigned to the case.╠ř Before coming to pick up your property, we request that you call the evidence custodian to make an appointment for all property releases.╠ř

Arrest Information & Reports╠ř

To get a copy of your case report, call CU Police Records at 303-492-5115 or fill out this form: ╠ř

DefendantÔÇÖs Release from Jail╠ř

If an arrest is made on a VRA crime, the victim will be signed up for VINE (Victim Information Notification Everyday a system that will notify the victim of any custodial changes (release or transfer) that occur after the defendant's initial arrest. Notifications may be delivered via phone, SMS, or email based upon the victim's preference. *Must Opt-out if you would not like to receive notifications, no Opt-in required╠ř╠ř

The Boulder County District AttorneyÔÇÖs Office will inform you of future court dates and legal proceedings.╠ř

Additional Resources╠ř

  • CU Boulder Police Emergency Dispatch: 911╠ř
  • CU Boulder Police Non-Emergency Dispatch: 303-492-6666╠ř
  • Boulder Police and Fire-Rescue Non-Emergency Dispatch: 303-441-3333╠ř
  • Boulder County Communications: 303-441-4444╠ř
  • CU Boulder confidential Office of Victim Assistance: 303-492-8855╠ř
  • CU Boulder confidential Counseling and Psychiatric Services: 303-492-2277╠ř
  • CU Boulder confidential Faculty and Staff Assistance: 303-492-╠ř
  • Crisis Intervention Services and Mental Health Partners: 303-447-1665╠ř
  • Safehouse Progressive Alliance for Non-Violence: 303-444-2424 (24/7 hotline and shelter)╠ř╠ř
  • MESA (Moving to End Sexual Assault): 303-443-7300 (24/7 hotline)╠ř
  • Boulder County Housing and Human Services: 303-441-1000╠ř
  • Tru Community Hospice and Palliative Care: 303-449-7740╠ř
  • Withdrawl Management at Mental Health Partners: 303-441-1281╠ř
  • Emergency Family Assistance: 303-442-3042╠ř
  • Boulder County Jail - Booking: 303-441-4650╠ř
  • Boulder Juvenile Detention Center: 303-441-3978╠ř
  • Boulder County District AttorneyÔÇÖs Office: 303-441-3700╠ř
  • Boulder County CoronerÔÇÖs Office: 303-441-3535╠ř
  • Boulder Community Health - Foothills Hospital: 303-415-7000╠ř
  • UC Health Longs Peak Hospital: 720-718-7000╠ř

Questions Regarding Your Rights╠ř

If you have any questions or concerns regarding your rights as a victim, call the confidential CU Boulder Office of Victim Assistance at 303-492-8855 or the Boulder County District Attorney Victim/Witness director at 303-441-3700.╠ř

If all local efforts to obtain your rights have failed, you may request assistance from the GovernorÔÇÖs VictimsÔÇÖ Coordinating Committee. For additional information call the at 303-239-4442.╠ř